Connect with us

New York Islanders

ON THE ROAD: Islanders End Time on the Road with Overtime Loss to Philly



New York Islanders fall to Philadelphia

The New York Islanders rallied from a deficit for the second night in a row in Philadelphia, but the result wasn’t much different from the night before.

The Islanders dropped their fifth straight game with a 4-3 overtime loss to the Philadelphia Flyers. Kevin Hayes’ goal with under a minute left in overtime crushed the Islanders’ comeback and handed Ilya Sorokin his third loss of the season in goal.

“I felt like we were going to get two points, I really did,” Islanders head coach Barry Trotz said. “Unfortunately we took a penalty (in overtime) and they scored on the power play. It’s unfortunate. Our first was as good as any first that we’ve had. Didn’t get rewarded. … We do it to ourselves a little bit, but from my standpoint getting a point considering how the week has gone is actually pretty huge.”

The rookie netminder made 25 saves on 29 shots, which included a number of acrobatic stops late in the game to keep Philadelphia from pulling ahead. Unlike previous outings, the Islanders managed to find the back of the net with Sorokin in net.

In his previous two starts, the New York Islanders failed to score a single goal.

“I thought he looked really solid tonight,” Anders Lee said of Sorokin. “I think he looked a little bit more comfortable and that’s going to take time with a little bit of that transition from league to league. Getting used to us playing in front of him. Obviously, we haven’t given him a lot of support goals-wise. I think tonight he made some huge key saves. There was a big one there in the third.”

The Islanders worked their way back into the game in the third period thanks to goals from Josh Bailey and Mathew Barzal. It started with a goal 1:03 into the final period off a redirection from Bailey.

Ryan Pulock fired a shot from the point that was tipped in front of the net by the Islanders forward for his first goal of the year and pulled the Isles within one.

Just over five minutes later the Islanders found the equalizer. A shot by Kevin Hayes in the Islanders’ end missed the net and went out of the zone.

Anders Lee chased down the puck in the Flyers’ end and was able to feed Barzal in the slot to tie the game at 6:27.

“I like how we responded, I like how we did come back and get those points,” Nick Leddy said. “We’re kind of shooting ourselves in the foot getting down early.”

The New York Islanders found themselves trailing to start the game once again despite a strong effort in the first period. Farabee fired a shot from just inside the faceoff circle and beat Sorokin for the 1-0 lead with 1:18 left in the opening frame.

The visitors from Long Island managed to even the score less than a minute into the second period while on the power play. A shot by Leddy found its way through traffic and into the net to tie the game 13 seconds into the man-advantage.

It was the third consecutive game that an Islanders defenseman found the back of the net.

The tie score lasted briefly before Farabee put Philadelphia back in front with his second goal of the game. Farabee once again scored from the faceoff circle, this time burying a one-timer to make it 2-1 at 2:19 of the second.

Farabee completed the hat trick at 15:52 after tipping a shot in front of the net from Philippe Myers.