UNIONDALE, N.Y. — It may have been the understatement of the night when New York Islanders goaltender Semyon Varlamov said that “we needed that one” when asked about the importance of the win over Pittsburgh on Saturday.
After dropping their last five games the Islanders need a win, and they got it in their first game back after an unexpected week off thanks to COVID-19 cancellations. Jordan Eberle scored twice, Semyon Varlamov came away with the win in his 500th NHL game and Anders Lee was the hero.
It wasn’t a pretty win, but at this point, as the old saying goes, a win is a win.
Here are three takeaways from the win:
GET NYIHN IN YOUR INBOX!
NYI Team & Cap Info
NYHN Daily: Dal Colle Role Diminishing, Cautiousness with Lee & More
Is it Too Late for Michael Dal Colle to be a Difference Maker with Islanders?
Islanders Likely to Keep Anders Lee out of First Few Preseason Games
NYHN Daily: Islanders MSG Coverage, Beauvillier’s Time & More
New York Islanders Telecast Returns to MSG Networks for 70 Games
3 Burning Questions Facing the New York Islanders Going into Training Camp
Isles Alum Dave Scatchard Recalls Zdeno Chara’s Wild Shot During Time on LI
Report: Erik Gustafsson Headed to Islanders Camp on PTO
Back Where it All Started! Zdeno Chara Signs 1-Year Deal with Islanders
5 Islanders Trade Targets to Watch for a Left Defenseman | NYHN+
- Islanders Should Roll with a Tandem in Goal Yet Again This Season on
- Bridgeport City Council Approves Deal to Keep Islanders, Renovate Arena on
- SIGNED! Islanders Lock up Ryan Pulock for Two More Years on
- Chris Lamoriello: ‘We’re Not Ruling Anything Out’ When it Comes to Josh Ho-Sang on
- Sources: Palmieri Deal All-But Done, Landeskog ‘Intrigued’ and Islanders Interested in Tarasenko on