There’s never a dull moment when it comes to the New York Islanders, but many fans lead a very busy life, meaning it’s not always possible to keep up to date with every news story.
But don’t worry, we’re here to help!
Every Sunday, we will recap the most exciting and relevant news stories that you may have missed throughout the week.
The Islanders went 4-0-0 this week, knocking off the Toronto Maple Leafs, Edmonton Oilers, Columbus Blue Jackets, and Philadelphia Flyers. They outscored their opponents 14-6, 6-0 in third periods.
As of today, the Islanders sit in second place in the Metropolitan Division, trailing the New Jersey Devils by six points. Their next game is against the Flyers on Tuesday at 7:30 PM.
- As the Islanders have done often, they came back in the third against the Toronto Maple Leafs, winning 3-2.
- Two players that have been struggling mightily for New York, in Josh Bailey and Anthony Beauvillier, came through against Toronto, scoring goals similar to ones they scored back in the 2021 postseason.
- Ahead of the contest against Toronto, Mathew Barzal spoke on his former captain John Tavares.
- In Monday’s 3-2 win over the Maple Leafs, Oliver Wahlstrom dropped the gloves after clipping their star Auston Matthews. When he laid the hit, he was expecting a player like Mark Giordano to fight him. He was not expecting his good friend Rasmus Sandin.
- With the Islanders reaching the 20-game mark, here are our thoughts.
- In one of the more shutdown performances of the season, the Islanders bottled up the Edmonton Oilers stars, as they won 3-0 on home ice. Ilya Sorokin was dominant, posting a 49-save shutout.
- After 153 games in the American Hockey League, 21-year-old Simon Holmström made his NHL debut at UBS Arena for the New York Islanders against the Edmonton Oilers on Wednesday night, donning the no. 10. Here’s how his first game went.
- As we hit American Thanksgiving, here’s who New York Islanders fans were thankful for.
- Noah Dobson burst onto the scene in December of 2021 and has continued to blossom as an NHL defenseman. Teammate Matt Martin had glowing things to say about the 22-year-old defenseman
- Although the Islanders will not be in the running for Connor Bedard, Mathew Barzal has served as a role model for the young prodigy.
- The Islanders entered the third period tied at two with the Blue Jackets, but a Brock Nelson goal early in the third served as the game-winner and the Islanders third straight victory.
- Oliver Wahlstrom sniped Columbus Blue Jackets goaltender Joonas Korpisalo on Wednesday night. A week earlier, Wahlstrom spoke to NYI Hockey Now about his ‘one-shot’ mentality, and with Mathew Barzal, that mentality is key.
- Simon Holmstrom played his first two NHL games on the Islanders’ top line and fit in quite nicely as he made key plays to help lead transition, earning his first career NHL point against the Blue Jackets.
- After a mediocre showing through two periods, the Islanders took it to the Flyers figuratively and literally as they scored three unanswered third period goals in a 5-2 rout.
- Flyers Tony DeAngelo started a fight with Oliver Wahlstrom, a decision he paid for as he got wrecked by the Islanders young forward.
- For the first time since being waived by the New York Islanders and claimed by the Philadelphia Flyers, Kieffer Bellows faced his former team and spoke about what it would feel like prior to the contest.
- Is Zach Parise the most bang-for-your-buck player in the NHL this season?