Barry Trotz spoke strongly after Tuesday night’s loss that his team needed to have a playoff mentality.
Through one period Thursday, it looked as if the New York Islanders received the message loud and clear.
By the second, the message was lost in translation.
The Washington Capitals deposited their final goal of a 6-3 win over the Islanders in the dying minutes of the final period, but the game was over in the middle third.
Things looked good after one, as the Islanders built up a three-goal lead with two of the scores coming from the bottom-six forwards.
So what went wrong in the second frame?
GET NYIHN IN YOUR INBOX!
NYI Team & Cap Info
NYHN Daily: Dal Colle Role Diminishing, Cautiousness with Lee & More
Is it Too Late for Michael Dal Colle to be a Difference Maker with Islanders?
Islanders Likely to Keep Anders Lee out of First Few Preseason Games
NYHN Daily: Islanders MSG Coverage, Beauvillier’s Time & More
New York Islanders Telecast Returns to MSG Networks for 70 Games
3 Burning Questions Facing the New York Islanders Going into Training Camp
Isles Alum Dave Scatchard Recalls Zdeno Chara’s Wild Shot During Time on LI
Report: Erik Gustafsson Headed to Islanders Camp on PTO
Back Where it All Started! Zdeno Chara Signs 1-Year Deal with Islanders
5 Islanders Trade Targets to Watch for a Left Defenseman | NYHN+
- Islanders Should Roll with a Tandem in Goal Yet Again This Season on
- Bridgeport City Council Approves Deal to Keep Islanders, Renovate Arena on
- SIGNED! Islanders Lock up Ryan Pulock for Two More Years on
- Chris Lamoriello: ‘We’re Not Ruling Anything Out’ When it Comes to Josh Ho-Sang on
- Sources: Palmieri Deal All-But Done, Landeskog ‘Intrigued’ and Islanders Interested in Tarasenko on