This will be a game Barry Trotz will take any day of the week. The New York Islanders carried the pace of play against the New York Rangers in Wednesday’s exhibition game and came away with the 2-1 victory.
The Islanders took about 20 minutes to fully get their sea legs under them, but once they did the team appeared to find a rhythm. The Isles outshot the Rangers 16-15 through the final 40 minutes and they picked up the physical play in the second period.
1. Anthony Beauvillier had a standout performance on Wednesday night. The 23-year-old lead the Islanders in shots on goal with four and scored the opening goal 9:15 into the second period. And Beauvillier had plenty of scoring chances before that as well.
Late in the first period, Beauvillier forced New York Rangers starter Igor Sheseterkin to make a tough save. The hard-charging Beauvillier was then able to pick up his own rebound and draw a penalty.
Beauvillier had a bit of an up and down year during the regular season. He finished the year with 18 goals, but registered just two points in the Islanders’ last 10 games before the pandemic. The winger spent training camp 2.0 working with Brock Nelson and Josh Bailey, and the trio worked out well.
GET NYIHN IN YOUR INBOX!
NYI Team & Cap Info
Islanders Defense Needs Spark After Back-to-Back Losses
Rapid Reaction: Islanders Mauled by Panthers in Second Consecutive Loss
WATCH: Mathew Barzal Shows off Stickhandling Ability Prior to Matchup vs. Panthers
Sunshine State Showdown: Islanders Lines, Matchups and Game Notes vs. Florida
NYHN Daily: Islanders Communication Issues, Honoring Hayes & More
Richard Panik, Thomas Hickey Waived by New York Islanders Ahead of Preseason Finale
Making Sense of the New York Islanders 23-Man Roster
One New York Islanders Fan’s Quest to Honor Father & Former Equipment Manager
NYHN Daily: Parise Getting Comfortable with Pageau, Lehner Summoned & More
Barry Trotz: ‘Robin Lehner is a Passionate Person’
- UBS Arena Puts Islanders Hockey, Fans First on
- Islanders Loan Bode Wilde to Swedish Club Following Refusal to Vaccinate on
- Islanders Should Roll with a Tandem in Goal Yet Again This Season on
- Bridgeport City Council Approves Deal to Keep Islanders, Renovate Arena on
- SIGNED! Islanders Lock up Ryan Pulock for Two More Years on