It was as if Mathew Barzal was answering all of the naysayers directly on Saturday afternoon after news broke that he had signed a three-year, $21 million contract extension with the New York Islanders.
As the days went on and Barzal remained unsigned, many wondered what the hold up had been. What was taking so long? Former NHLer and Spittin’ Chicklets co-host Paul Bissonette even suggested Barzal hold out for “as long as possible” and that he didn’t think Barzal was having fun playing in Barry Trotz’s system.
That didn’t sit well with Islanders fans.
But Barzal put all of that to rest when he spoke on Saturday, expressing his love for Long Island and reiterating his excitement to be an Islander.
GET NYIHN IN YOUR INBOX!
NYI Team & Cap Info
Barry Trotz Explains Decision to Keep Oliver Wahlstrom Out of Lineup
New York Islanders let Division Lead Slip away with Loss to New York Rangers
Ilya Sorokin’s Mental Toughness Leading to Success in Net for Islanders
NYHN Daily: Islanders Find a Way to Win, Trade Deadline Looming & More
Plus/Minus: Islanders, Sorokin Roll to Shootout Win Over Flyers Again
Islanders Trade Talk: How to Get Blue Jackets’ Nick Foligno to Long Island
Where Will Barry Trotz Use Kyle Palmieri, Travis Zajac in Islanders Lineup?
Islanders Trade: Get Palmieri, Zajac in Blockbuster with New Jersey
OTR: Hall Cost ‘Comical’. ‘Wild Wild West’ NHL Trade Deadline? | NYHN+
Islanders Trade Talk: How to Bring Kyle Palmieri to Long Island
- Islanders Trade Talk: How to Get Blue Jackets’ Nick Foligno to Long Island on
- WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU? LA Forward Could Be Lee Trade Deadline Replacement on
- Islanders Making Most of Ilya Sorokin’s Time in Playoff Bubble on
- Off the Record: Speculation On Pens, Gibson; Vancouver Mess | NYHN+ on
- Josh Bailey Plays Against New Jersey After Coming Off COVID Protocol List on